Is High School Over?

Is High School Over?

MacKenzie Noppe, Writer

This is my last quarter of high school, and it seems that this school year is over. It’s over because we haven’t returned to the actual school grounds, everyone is suppose to be on “lock-down” and remain inside the house as much as possible. The guidelines are not to leave unless people need items that are essential. School is closed down and most likely won’t be reopening. That means events like prom, and senior skip-day, and even graduation are most likely canceled.

When I left school for spring break, I had no idea we wouldn’t be returning for the last quarter of my high school career. I knew the virus was becoming an issue in the U.S., but I didn’t think this would keep us from returning back to school. I was honestly very upset to find out that we wouldn’t be returning to school. It’s my last quarter as a senior, the best quarter to be in school for. Now, all the seniors won’t be able to celebrate graduation and getting all dressed up for our senior prom. 

I miss seeing friends at school. Friends really help me, personally, make it through the day of school, by laughing and talking, or even helping each other out with assignments and such. I miss being able to interact in person with my teachers. I’m a visual learner and I like being able to ask questions in class. Not that it’s hard to ask questions online, but it’s just not the same.

Sometimes, it’s even hard for me to ask in person because I’m not sure how to make the teacher understand my perspective, so it’s even harder online just because there’s no real connection between the computer keyboard and a message being sent online. I’m adjusting as I go, but it’s hard. I never thought I’d be finishing my last year online because of the coronavirus. 

— MacKenzie Noppe

I also miss having a routine schedule. It was nice waking up 5 days out of the week at the same time and having mostly the same schedule every day. Sure it can be repetitive, but I’d rather go to school every day at the same time than do school work at home online. It’s nice being able to sleep in, but I was always able to do that on the weekend, so it didn’t ever bother me too much.

I’m excited to start college in the fall, and I hope that this virus doesn’t interrupt my future plans. I want to be able to experience college the way everyone else has gotten the chance to. I feel that I’ve already been robbed of so many events that go along with the legendary “senior year of high school” and I don’t want that to carry over into my freshman year of college. I want to give my best efforts towards college and really excel and exceed my level of expectations for myself. I want to be the best version of myself, and I hope I get the chance to do that in the upcoming months.