Ending on a Good Note

Alayna Amidon, Editor

Participating in Marching Band, whether as a student or a parent, seems to have quite the impact on kids and adults alike. 

Lots of hard work and determination goes into the Marching Band that many have seen perform at Friday night football games, competitions, and other events. Along with practicing on Mondays and Wednesdays for three hours during school nights, a main contributor to the Marching Band’s success can be attributed to band camp. Band camp takes place during the last few weeks of July and all of fall break in October, and consists of anywhere from four to eight hours a rehearsal. 

Marching Band takes up a lot of space during the first semester of school, and the students must be prepared for the lack of time they will have outside of school. Emily Brown, a mellophone player and section leader of the mellophones said that, “Being in Marching Band has taught me to work hard and accept that a full night of sleep is a once in a month opportunity.” The parents also have to be ready to give some of their time to the Marching Band, as well. “We have monthly meetings to talk about upcoming games and competitions, and we plan the food and water for the events. We run different fundraisers to raise money for the Band and plan a summer picnic during band camp,” says Karen Stevanovic, a current Band mom, who is quite active in the Rock Island High School Marching Band.

Although Marching Band does take up a lot of time, that time is spent well. Along with improving on their instruments, students make memories and friends, along with learning skills that they otherwise would not have. Eleanor Blew, a flute player and drill sargent, says that Marching Band has taught her that everyone is important, and that every student has something to contribute to a community. Brown had a similar response, concluding that being in Marching Band has taught her quality leadership skills that she would not have learned outside of Band and that “the most effective way to learn is the hard way.” 

As stated previously, lots of memories are made and the Marching Band becomes a ‘home away from home.’ “My favorite memory from this season was being in ISU and performing such an amazing show that the band, the directors, and the audience were crying because of how good, meaningful, and moving it was,” commented Blew. Brown says that her favorite part of Marching Band is when the group recognizes each other as a family. She describes these moments as “powerful and memorable”, and that is when she realizes all of the Band’s hard work has finally paid off. Stevanovic says, “It is always fun to see the kids perform and hear the response from the crowd. You also see it in the kids faces. I love watching the reactions from Mr. Carlin when they have nailed it!”

Marching Band is always time well spent, whether practicing for the next competition or making close friends and building a family. Though this Marching Band season has come to a close, the connections and friends made during this time have not.