Seniors Taking the Field One Last Time

Hannah Drish, Editor

I was watching my section during the warm-up, and I was thinking about how much they have improved in music and marching within the past few months, and how I will never get the pleasure to march with them again.

— Shaila Christopher

On October 26th, at 12:00pm in Indianapolis, the seniors in the Rock Island High School Marching Band took the field for their final performance. This final performance would be a wrap of their four year journey they took to get to this day.

Anna Rowell, who is a four year member of the band and was in the Color Guard section said, “I was feeling a bit of sadness, but mostly pride because of what a great band we had become.” Anna also mentions that the band had a lot of fun throughout the season, as well. One experience she says she’ll miss most about band is the people because, “They really are some of the greatest people ever who make the whole experience worth while.”

Shaila Christopher, who is a senior in the band and is in the saxophone section, says she was feeling “Nostalgic. I was watching my section during the warm-up, and I was thinking about how much they have improved in music and marching within the past few months, and how I will never get the pleasure to march with them again.” She was also thinking, how the BOA performance would be her last performance on the field and last performance in a marching band ever. Shaila says, “I’m going to miss the bus rides the most. The bus rides are where I could relax, listen to music, talk to my friends and the directors, and prepare myself.”

Someone who has inspired and helped Anna get through the season is Sarah, the Color Guard director. Anna says, “She has inspired me throughout the season  because she and I have had a pretty rough year, but we both got through it together.” Someone that Shaila says she will miss the most from Marching Band is one of the directors, Mr. Tollenear. She says, “He constantly pushes me to be a better musician and person, even though he will crack a joke whenever he sees the opportunity, he is someone I could talk to about anything and everything.”

They may have had their sad moments, but in the end, they all feel that bit of happiness and pride that they will carry with them off the field. These seniors definitely had a bittersweet ending to their four years of Marching Band.