Dear future Rocks,

Alayna Amidon, Editor

Dear future Rocks,

This year has by far been one of the craziest years of my life and it’s safe to say that a lot of other people could agree. It feels like the year of 2020 was just made to be ridden with bad luck. With COVID 19 (The Corona Virus) came lots of new “normals,” such as restaurants closing their dining spaces and instead turning into full time carry out businesses. It’s been so cool to see people supporting local businesses during this time as well. I, myself have been ordering from my favorite locals such as Atomic Coffee Bar, Awake Coffee Company, Whitey’s, Harris Pizza and many more. All of the essential workers have been so patient and kind and it gives me hope knowing that even in times like these, there are still people with kind and loving hearts. Along with businesses, schooling has drastically changed for most of the students in America. Rock Island High School has us doing e-learning as of right now, like many other schools in the country and I’m not going to lie, I despise it. I never realized how much my brain depends on a building to keep me motivated and on track, and it’s been so hard to keep track of all of the emails and assignments, especially when all of us are just as confused as the next person. Seniors are missing out on their graduation, senior prom and so many other traditions and milestones- things they’ve looked forward to for years. It’s been hard seeing all of my senior friends mourning over these things but a lot of them have been turning events like graduation back into a positive experience by having ‘quarantine photoshoots’ wearing their cap and gown. This entire period has been hard on a lot of people and I’m not going to lie, not getting to see my friends, family or boyfriend has been especially hard, but I know it’s for the best and I can’t wait to reunite with everyone and go back to living as normal of a life as possible after this weird time. 

-Alayna, grade 11