Voss is Boss

Voss is Boss

It’s never too late for a fresh start and a new beginning. The Rock Island High School Girls Tennis program has represented this idea strongly this season. 

The new Tennis Coach, Maggi Voss is not only the Girls Head Tennis Coach, but also the JV Girls Basketball Assistant Coach, and a teacher in the district for 19 years. With everything she’s involved in, she continues to push herself to do her best. Coach Voss said, “When I saw the position posted, I just knew that it was something that I would love to coach.” Along with that, she also said, “I am honestly not sure if I would’ve taken this position a few years ago. My time has more flexibility now that my children are older. Coaching takes a lot of time and commitment. I don’t like to put half effort into anything that I do. I like to be fully committed.”

Leah Kitterman, a Senior at Rocky, has played Tennis for 10 years now. Going into her last high school season, Kitterman said, “It feels good to have a new coach because it’s a fresh start for everyone, meaning we get to do-over daily activities and make new memories.” Kitterman has continued to put her best foot forward through these changes. 

However, tennis hasn’t always been sunshine and rainbows for Kitterman. Kitterman said, “I had a point where I was struggling with my motivation to keep playing tennis after my sophomore season because I wasn’t doing as good as I thought I could. My motivation got pulled back in by having, loving and encouraging teammates by my side.” Coach Voss finds motivation as an important factor to anything in life, she said, “Coaching gives me the chance to teach student athletes how to be successful on and off the court. I enjoy pushing and motivating the ladies to be the best they can be.”

Like two peas in a pod, Kitterman and Voss have the same goals for the season. Coach Voss said, “I am looking forward to seeing the the girls progress, no matter what level ability they are. I am excited to see the team grow individually and collectively.” Then, Kitterman said, “This season, I am looking forward to the team growing closer together, and all of us being a support system for each other, and growing as athletes.” 

Fresh starts and new beginnings aren’t the easiest adaptations to life, depending on how one looks at it, and is willing to move forward with it. Girls Tennis is adjusting to change in more ways than one, but are continuing to stay positive throughout it all.